Idli is one of the healthiest breakfast item in Indian cuisine. There are many variations in the idli recipe. I’m posting the basic rice lentil recipe.
- 1/2 cup split black gram( urad dal)
- 1/2 cup parboiled rice ( idli rice)
- 1/2 cup regular rice
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- Oil to grease the idli rack or idli moulds
- Rinse the rice and parboiled rice well and soak in water for about 6 hours. Rinse split black gram and fenugreek seeds well and soak in water for about 4 hours.
- Drain the rice and grind to make a coarse batter adding little water. Drain the dal and grind to a smooth batter adding water as required. This batter should be smooth and frothy.
- Combine both the batters, add salt, mix well and set aside in a vessel covered in a warm place to ferment for 8 hours. The batter should be of thick pouring consistency. Add more water if necessary and beat the batter well.
- Grease an idli rack or idli moulds ( I used idli moulds) with oil. Pour batter in each depression/ mould till 3/4th full. Place the idli rack/ moulds in the steamer or pressure cooker( without the weight) and steam for 18 to 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the idli to check if its cooked. If it comes out clean its cooked.
- Allow the rack/ moulds to cool for about 2 minutes and remove the idlis with blunt edge of a knife.
- Serve hot with chutney or sambar of your choice.
- Left over idli batter can be used to make dosas, uttapams or even appe. Left over idlis can be roasted on tawa with ghee and served with chutney, taste great.
- Fermentation is very important to get perfect idlis.
Coconut Coriander Chutney
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1 tbsp roasted bengal gram
- 4 green chillies
- 1/4th” piece of chopped ginger
- 5 sprigs of coriander leaves
- A piece of tamarind
- Salt to taste
For the tempering
- 1 1/2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1 dry red chilli cut into pieces
- Combine coconut, roasted bengal gram, green chillies, ginger, tamarind,coriander leaves, salt and grind to a smooth paste adding water.
- Heat oil in a seasoning pan add,mustard seeds, when they splutter add asafoetida,curry leaves, red chilli, mix well and pour over the chutney. Mix well and serve with idlis,dosas, pancakes, vadas etc
- Adjust thickness of chutney to individual choice by adding more or less water.