Quick and easy version of instant rice kheer. When there’s no time to cook rice kheer the traditional way by cooking rice in milk, instant kheer by adding cooked rice also turns out delectable.
- 1 cup cooked rice( I used basmati)
- 1/2 litre boiled milk
- 3 1/2 tbsp sugar (adjust sweetness to individual taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp kesar elaichi syrup (optional)
- 1/4 th tsp cardamom powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
- 4 saffron strands soaked in 2 tsp milk
- Saffron strands to garnish
- Raisins to garnish
- Combine cooked rice, milk and sugar in a heavy based pan and heat it. Once it boils, let it simmer on low heat for about 8 minutes till it thickens a bit.
- Add kesar elaichi syrup and stir well. Add cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, raisins. Garnish with saffron strands.
- Serve hot or chilled.
- Adding kesar elaichi syrup is optional, but it does give a nice colour to the kheer as well as the rice.
- This kheer is not as thick as that cooked by the traditional method.