Methamba is a maharashtrian fenugreek flavoured raw mango pickle that is sweet, tangy and spicy.Raw mangoes are high in Vitamin C and have a host of nutritional benefits, so make the most of it in the season.
- 4 1/2 cups peeled raw mango cubes OR approximately 1 kg raw mangoes (the mangoes should be of less sour variety)
- 1 1/4th cup jaggery (quantity of jaggery to be added depends totally on the sourness of the mangoes)
- Approximately 1/2 cup water ( the quantity of water to be added depends on the tenderness of the mangoes used, so first add 1/2 cup water and then add more if required)
- 1/2 tsp red mustard seeds
- 1/2 to 3/4th tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/4th tsp asafoetida
- 1/4th tsp turmeric powder
- 3 to 4 tsp bedgi or kashmiri red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 3 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and dry the raw mangoes thoroughly with a dry cloth. Peel the mangoes, discard the seeds and cut into medium sized cubes.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan, add mustard seeds, when they splutter add fenugreek seeds, saute well till you get its aroma, add asafoetida, turmeric powder mix well,add the mango pieces, red chilli powder and saute for a few seconds till the mix coats the mango pieces.Cover the pan with a steam release lid and steam for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add water,jaggery and salt and cook on low flame till the mango pieces are tender and soft and till you get the desired consistency(adjust consistency to your choice)of the sauce. The sauce will thicken as it cools so please take it into consideration.
- Mix well, switch off gas and let it cool.
- Transfer to a dry air tight bottle and REFRIGERATE it.
- Serve with dal rice or even polis.
- The color of the pickle is dark because kashmiri chilli powder and organic jaggery have been used. If not it’ll be of light colour.
- TOTAPURI mangoes are the least sour among all variety of mangoes and best suited for this pickle. Any other variety of mango will also do but you may need to add more jaggery.
- The quantity of jaggery to be added entirely depends on the sourness of the mango.
- As water is used to cook the mango pieces this pickle needs to be refrigerated.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG