Uppit is one of the easiest tasty breakfast dish that can be prepared in a jiffy. Posting resto style combination uppit with chutney as an accompaniment. This is a no onion recipe.
- 1/2 cup semolina/ rava
- 1 tsp ghee to roast the rava
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4th cup green peas
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste( optional.I did not add)
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
For the tempering
- 11/2 to 2 tbsp ghee/ oil
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 to 4 green chilles finely chopped ( adjust to taste)
- 1/4th” finely chopped ginger
- 1 dry red chilli cut intp pieces
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Roast the rawa in a tsp of ghee on low flame till you get the aroma taking care not to burn it. Set aside.
- Heat oil/ ghee in a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add mustard seeds. When they splutter add asafoetida,dry red chilli, green chillies, ginger,curry leaves and finally turmeric powder and saute well.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute till soft.Add green peas and saute till the mix coats the peas. Add the roasted rava and saute well. Add hot water,salt, a tbsp of chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low flame till done. Open the cover and stir once or twice to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Remove from flame.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and coconut chutney.
- You can add lime juice instead of tomato as a variation.
- Coconut chutney is a simple recipe that’s tangy and spicy and goes well with upma,uppit,idli, dosa etc
- 1 cup grated coconut
- A piece of tamarind(as per taste)
- 1/2″ piece of ginger
- 3 to 4 green chillies(adjust to taste)
- Salt to taste
- 2 sprigs of coriander leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 2 tbsp roasted bengal gram (putana/ daria/bhuna chana)
- Grind coconut,asafoetida, green chillies, ginger, tamarind, salt, coriander leaves and roasted bengal gram along with little water. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve this chutney with Upma, appe, dosas, set dosas, pancakes etc.
- Some people like thick chutney while others like it in liquid form. Adjust water content accordingly.