Fresh green gram are in season, they are very flavourful and very good for health too. We should make the most of it. Shelling of each gram is tedious I agree but it’s really worth the effort taken.
- 1 cup fresh shelled green gram
- 1 onion chopped fine1 tomato chopped fine
- 5 pods of garlic,1/4th” piece of ginger, 1 green chilli, 2 sprigs coriander leaves ground to a paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 2 tsp malwani masala (I used store bought malwani masala)
- Salt to taste
- Shell the fresh green gram, rinse well. Heat 1 tsp oil in a nonstick / ceramic pan, add the shelled green gram,a pinch of salt, saute, cover it with a steam release lid and let it cook in its own steam for some time.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan, add mustard seeds, when they splutter add asafoetida, onions,saute till golden.Add ginger garlic chilly coriander leaves paste.
- Saute well till you get the aroma then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, malwani masala,stir,add tomatoes and saute well till oil leaves the sides, then add the steamed green gram and stir well. Add hot water to get the desired consistency,add salt and cook till tender but should bot break.
- Sprinkle a little malwani masala on top and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with puris,rotis, polis or even top it with rice and curds. I served it with methi puris.
Variations to the recipe :
- 1. If malwani masala is not available, add 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder along with red chilli powder. When the water added to the usal starts boiling add 1/2 tsp garam masala so that the flavours sink into the gravy.
- 2. You can also add misal masala instead of malwani masala.Tastes great too. Friends living in Thane do check out the local brand K G Wanage Misal masala, tastes awesome.
- 3. You can prepare the same usal with dried gram too. If using dried gram soak 1/2 cup dried green gram overnight.Rinse the gram and pressure cook till tender. Follow the recipe given above.
- Quantity of red chilli powder to be added depends on the spiciness of malwani masala,please adjust flavours accordingly.
- You can adjust the consistency of usal to your choice either dry or gravy version. I like with gravy while serving with puris.