A delicious cucumber salad with the crunch of peanuts,tang of fresh lemon flavour and added flavour of tempering. This salad goes well with steaming hot rice, dal or even with rotis.
- 2 medium sized cucumber,skin peeled,ends sliced off and cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies chopped fine(adjust to taste)
- 2 to 3 curry leaves
- 1 tsp lime juice(as per tang required)
- Sugar to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp coarsely ground roasted peanut powder
- 2 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Peel and dice the cucumber finely.
- If you dice the cucumber much before serving,store it in the referigerator,else it will release a lott of moisture.
- Just a little while before serving transfer the chilled cucumber cubes in a serving bowl and add ground peanuts, sugar,lime juice and lastly add salt and mix well(never add salt in advance as it releases moisture).
- In a seasoning wok,heat ghee,add cumin seeds,when they crackle add green chillies and curry leaves and take off heat and mix well.
- Pour this mix over the salad and mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves and freshly grated coconut.
- This salad tastes best when served chilled.
- Do check the cucumber taste as at times a cucumber may be bitter.
- The tempering of ghee can be substitued with oil and cumin seeds with mustard seeds.