Uthappam is a thick pancake with toppings sprinkled on top and cooked till crisp.It is crisp on top and soft inside.
- 1/2 cup split black gram/ urad dal
- 11/2 cups parboiled rice
- 10 to 12 fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- Oil to shallow fry
- 2 medium sized onions finely chopped
- 2 to 3 green chillies finely chopped
- 1″ piece of ginger finely chopped
- 4 to 5 sprigs of coriander leaves finely chopped
- Wash the dal and fenugreek seeds well till water runs clear and soak in water for atleast 6 hours. Wash the rice well to remove excess starch and soak for 6 hours.
- Drain excess water from the dal and grind it adding little water till light and fluffy.Drain excess water from rice and grind to a smooth batter adding water a little at a time.
- In a deep container combine both the batters, add salt, mix well and cover and set aside to ferment for about 8 hours. The batter should be of dropping consistency. Add a little water if required.
- Mix the ingredients mentioned in the topping and set aside.
- Take half a potato or onion dipped in oil and smear the tawa/ griddle with a thin coat of oil evenly.
- Heat the tawa / griddle. Lower the heat and pour a ladle of the batter onto the tawa. The uthappam should be thick say about 1/4th” thickness. Leave oil around the edges.Sprinkle 2 tbsp of the topping on the top evenly.
- Cover and cook with a steam release lid till the base is golden. Remove the lid and flip the uthappam gently, leave oil from the sides and cook till done and golden.
- Serve hot with chutney of your choice.
- I prepared the uthappam in a nonstick mini uthappam pan. Mini Uthapams can be served as starters too.
- You can even mix the topping in the batter if you want. Spreading the topping on top gives a crispiness to the oothappam.
- You can also prepare uthappam from leftover idli or dosa batter.