A popular Indo Chinese dish loved by one and all. This one happens to be a favourite of mine and I tried out this recipes with different brands of soy sauce to get the perfect resto taste and the best flavour that suited my taste buds was that of Lee Kum Kee Premium Dark Soy Sauce. You can use your favourite brand.
- 1 packet hakka noodles,boiled (follow pack instructions)
- 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper cut thinly into juliennes
- 1/2 red bell pepper cut thinly into juliennes
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper cut thinly into juliennes
- 2 Spring onion whites chopped finely lengthwise
- 1 Carrot cut thinly into juliennes
- 2 french beans chopped fine and blanched
- Finely chopped spring onion greens as required for garnishing
- Salt as per taste
- 1 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp white pepper powder
- 3/4th tsp vinegar
Basic method to cook the noodles :
- Boil plenty of water in a deep pan and add a little salt and 1 tsp oil. Once the water has boiled add the noodles and cook till al dente(80% cooked).Do not overcook as the noodles will become soggy.
- Once done, drain the excess water using a strainer and refresh with cold water.Drain all the excess water taking care theres no moisture left. Add 1 tsp of oil to the noodles,toss them so that it will prevent them from turning sticky. Set aside on a flat plate.
- Heat a wok till hot on high flame. Add oil, then add spring onion whites and stir fry on high flame, add green,red,yellow bell peppers, carrots,saute well then add blanched french beans,and stirfry on high flame.Do not cook for long as the vegetables should be crunchy.
- Add boiled noodles,white pepper powder,dark soy sauce.Stir and toss gently to mix the veggies and noodles well. Add salt and lastly add vinegar and toss well.
- Garnish with spring onion greens. Serve hot.
- Dark soy sauce gives a distinct flavour to the noodles. It is thicker and darker than light soy sauce. Dark soy sauce should be used only when mentioned in a recipe. If not always use light soy sauce.I have used Lee Kum Kee brand of dark soy sauce.
- Using groundnut oil gives the perfect resto taste.