A quick and easy Maharashtrian comfort meal for a flavourful dinner.
- 3/4 th cup short-grained rice
- 1/2 cup split green gram( moong dal)
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 3/4 th tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/4th tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- Khichdi Masala to be ground to a paste without adding water the spices mentioned below
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 4 black pepper
- 1/2″ piece cinnamon
- 4 to 5 green chillies ( adjust to spice required)
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves
- 1/2″ piece of ginger
- Wash the rice at least thrice to let go off excess starch. Drain the water and keep aside for half an hour.Also rinse the dal well and soak it in water for 15 minutes, drain the water and keep aside for another 15 minutes.
- In a nonstick/ ceramic pan heat oil or ghee, add cumin seeds. When they crackle add a pinch of asafoetida, turmeric powder,ground spices, saute well.
- Add rice and split moong dal and saute well till the masala coats the rice and dal. Add hot water and salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook till done.
- Serve hot with spiced curds/ buttermilk or raita and papad of your choice.
Variation to the recipe :
- You can add 1 1/2 tsp goda masala for a change in flavour along with other spices. Reduce the quantity of chillies as goda masala is pungent. Tastes very good too.