Batatyachya Kachrya is the easiest, quickest and popular Maharashtrian recipe in which potatoes are stir fried till crisp. Kachrya means thin slices in Marathi and hence the name.
- 4 to 5 medium sized potatoes
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp kashmiri chilli powder( adjust to individual spice required)
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Peel the skin and quarter r the potatoes and then cut them into thin slices. Dip the slices in water to prevent oxidation.
- Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan,add mustard seeds. When they splutter add asafoetida, turmeric powder, chilli powder. Mix well, add sliced potatoes, salt and saute well so that the spices and oil coat the potatoes well.
- Cover with a steam release lid and cook on low heat, sauteing gently in between. To check if the potatoes are tender pierce the potatoes with a fork or knife. If it slides through easily the potatoes are cooked.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot as a side dish with puris/ chapatis or even dal rice.
- The potatoes can also be sliced with its skin on as the skin of potatoes is also laden with vital nutrients and also adds flavour to the kachrya.
- This bhaaji comes out tastier and crispier when cooked in a kadai but it requires more oil.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG.