Beetroots contain a lot of valuable nutrients so try and include beet as much as possible.
- 2 medium sized Beet cooked, peeled and grated
- 1 small onion finely chopped (optional but it adds crunch to the salad)
- 2 tbsp roasted coarse peanut powder
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste(beet has its own sugar content so you’ll require very less sugar)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- A squeeze of half lime
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish.
- Wash the beet ,cut off the edges. Slice the beet into half and keep it with cut side up in a small container with just a little water to prevent it from drying and keep the container in the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 1 whistle only as the beet has to be crunchy.
- Once steam is released, take the beet out and peel it. Grate the beet and transfer it into a mixing bowl.
- Mix grated beet,chopped onion,peanut powder, salt, sugar and lime juice and transfer to a serving bowl.
- In a seasoning pan heat ghee, add cumin seeds, when they crackle add asafoetida,green chillies, mix well and pour the seasoning over the beet mix. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Mix well and serve either chilled or at room temperature with chapatis or dal rice or pulav / biryani.
- Not everyone likes the earthy smell of raw beet.I prefer cooking it. Also the skin of raw beet is hard to peel ,when cooked its easier to peel the skin.