Fresh Pigeon Peas are very nutritious and available in winters. Make the most of it by including it in as many recipes as you can. Posting below a quick and easy cutlet recipe that can be deep fried or shallow fried.
- 3 to 4 big potatoes boiled and mashed (there should be no moisture)
- 1 cup fresh pigeon peas rinsed and blanched in water to which a pinch of salt is added and drained.(See that the pigeon peas are totally free of moisture)
- 6 to 8 green chillies,1/2″ piece ginger, 8 to 10 cloves of garlic and 1 tsp of pomegranate seeds ground to a paste ( adjust spice as per taste)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- Bread crumbs to add to the potato mix plus to roll the cutlets.
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Blend blanched fresh pigeon peas to a coarse paste( just run the blender in spurts). The paste should be coarse. Transfer it to a mixing bowl. Add green chillies,ginger, garlic, pomegranate seeds paste, mashed potato, coriander leaves chopped fine, cornflour and approximately 3tbsp bread crumbs and salt to taste.Mix well.
- Make equal portions of the mix and shape into small cutlets. Roll into bread crumbs and dust excess crumbs.Deep fry in oil on medium flame till they are golden brown in colour on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with mint chutney or tomato sauce.
- The mix should be totally free of moisture otherwise the cutlets will split in oil. See that the potatoes, pigeon peas and coriander leaves do not contain moisture.
- If anardana seeds are not available you can add 1 tsp lime juice.
- You can even shallow fry the cutlets for a healthier version.
- Do not pressure cook the potatoes directly in water. Prick the potatoes with a fork and keep them in a container. Add water in the pressure cooker and keep the container in it and pressure cook. This way the potatoes stay free from moisture.
- Salt gives out moisture hence add salt just before you roll out the cutlets.
- Use stale bread to get crispier cutlets.
- Use oils with high smoke point for deep frying. Example : Refined groundnut oil.
- It’s always best to add a little cornflour and bread crumbs to the mix,so that it binds the mix and absorbs moisture if any and the cutlets don’t split when fried.