Kairichi amti/Raw mango curry is a traditional Konkan recipe that has a spicy,tart,sweet taste and tastes delicious with steaming hot rice and tawa fries as an accompaniment.
- 1 raw green mango
- 3/4th cup coconut milk to which 1 tsp rice flour is added(so that the coconut milk does not split on boiling)
- 5 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 4 to 5 fenugreek seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 2 tsp oil
- 21/2 to 3 tsp bedgi or kashmiri red chilli powder (adjust to individual spice required.Kashmiri chilli powder gives a nice colour to the curry)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Jaggery to taste(depends on the sourness of the mango)
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Peel the skin of the mango and cut into slices.Grind coconut,turmeric powder,red chilli powder, coriander seeds to a smooth paste by adding a little water.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds. When they splutter add a pinch of asafoetida, the mango slices,saute well and ground coconut paste and a little water to get an even consistency.
- Stir well and cook on low flame till the mango slices become tender.
- Then add the coconut milk to which rice flour is added and jaggery and salt a and bring to a boil.The taste of this curry is spicy,sweet and tart.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.Serve hot immediately with steamed rice and shallow fried vegetable of your choice.
- If not serving immediately remove the mango slices and keep aside and add them while reheating if you want to, because the more they are kept in the curry the more tangy the curry will be.
- Generally if the mango is very tangy use only half the mango
- Adding a tsp of rice flour to the coconut milk prevents it from splitting when heated.