Dal Khichdi is a quick and easy one dish meal,an ideal choice for a meal in a jiffy.Basically dal and rice are cooked together but I cook rice separately and add it to the tempered dal while preparing masala dal khichdi.
- 1/2 cup split pigeon peas/toor dal
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4th cup blanched tender green peas
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 12 to 15 finely chopped garlic cloves(adjust to individual taste)
- 2 finely chopped green chillies
- 4 tbsp ghee (2 tbsp+ 2tbsp)
- 11/2 tsp cumin seeds (3/4th tsp +3/4th tsp)
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1 bay leaf
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (1/8 tsp to be added while cooking the dal and the rest to be added in two stages as mentioned below)
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder (as per spice required
- 2 dry red chillies cut fine ( seeds removed)
- 1 tsp kasoori methi
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Wash toor dal and soak in water for an hour. Pressure cook the dal along with a pinch of asafoetida and 1/8tsp turmeric powder until pressure is released four times(four whistles),so that it’s mashed well.
- After the pressure settles down,remove dal from the cooker and mash well. Heat 2tbsp ghee in a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add 3/4th tsp cumin seeds, when they crackle add bay leaf, asafoetida,half the quantity of chopped garlic and saute till you get the aroma and the garlic turns light brown,then add green chillies,curry leaves, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, saute then add tomatoes and saute till they become soft.
- Add the cooked dal,and water to get the desired consistency.Let the consistency be a little thin as it’ll become thick once rice is added.Add salt,kasuri methi and garam masala and let the dal simmer on low flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and blanched peas to the dal.Add salt if required.
- In another nonstick/ceramic seasoning pan heat 2 tbsp of ghee,add 3/4th tsp cumin seeds,when they crackle add asafoetida and finely chopped garlic.
- Saute till garlic turns light brown and you get the aroma then add dry red chillies,saute well and switch off the flame. Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and mix well.
- Pour half of this tempering on the simmering dal khichdi, mix well so the flavours sink into it.Pour the rest of the tempering on top of it.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with papad,curds and pickle of your choice.
- You can prepare the tempering in ghee or oil as per individual preference, but basically dal khichdi tastes best when tempered in ghee.
- You can add vegetables of your choice or even skip adding any.
- Adding turmeric powder to the dal while cooking gives a nice colour to the dal.