Methi Batata is a simple recipe with minimum spices but maximum flavours.
- 3 cups fresh tender fenugreek/ methi leaves washed well and chopped finely
- 4 medium sized potatoes boiled and cut into small cubes
- 10 to 12 cloves of garlic crushed in mortar and pestle or finely chopped
- 4 to 5 green chillies finely chopped
- 2 dry red chillies seeds removed and cut finely
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/4th tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in an iron kadai ( nonstick/ ceramic also will do but leafy veg taste best when cooked in an iron kadai).Add asafoetida, then add garlic and fry till you get the aroma.
- Add turmeric powder, green chillies, dry red chillies, saute then add fenugreek leaves and saute on high flame till they wilt.Then reduce flame,add coriander cumin powder, salt and boiled potatoes and stir well till the mix coats the potatoes.
- Serve hot as a side dish with rotis/polis or dal rice.
- While cooking leafy vegetables always add salt after the veg wilts as the quantity decreases after they wilt and you’ll know exactly how much salt is required.
Also remember leafy veg have their own salt content.
Tastes best when cooked in an iron kadai.