Pohe is a traditional popular dish that is very versatile and can be prepared at short notice.A very versatile recipe I’m posting my version. Winter setting in,fresh green peas are available in abundance, hence I’m posting Pohe with green peas which gives added flavour to the pohe.
- 11/2 cup medium pohe/flattened rice
- 2 medium sized onions finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh tender green peas
- 5 to 6 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 5 green chillies finely chopped (adjust to spice required)
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add mustard seeds,when they splutter add asafoetida, chopped green chillies, curry leaves,turmeric powder. Saute well, add onions and fresh green peas.Saute till the onions are soft.Stir fry till the onions turn transluscent and the peas are cooked.
- While the onion and peas are getting cooked, rinse pohe in water and gently wash them so that the excess starch washes out and the pohe soften.Squeeze out the excess water gently from the pohe and set aside in a flat plate. All the pohe flakes should be firm,and fluffy.
- Add the pohe to the cooked onion, peas.Add salt, sugar and saute gently so that the mixture coats the pohe.
- Serve steaming hot pohe garnished with coriander leaves. If you like it tangy add a squeeze of lime juice.
Variations to the recipe :
- In place of green peas you can add potatoes or even boiled peanuts. Each variation tastes great.
- You can sprinkle nylon shev. It gives a nice crunch to the pohe.
- Do not soak pohe for long.Rinsing them well is enough to soften them.