Dhirdi is a quick and easy traditional Maharashtrian breakfast/snack recipe made out of available flours, especially a mix of rice flour and gram flour. It can be made in a jiffy and most important it is healthy too.You can make variations by adding spinach or spring onion greens and whites too.
- 1 cup Rice flour
- 3 tbsp Gram flour ( besan)
- A fistful of tender fenugreek leaves washed and chopped fine
- 2 green chillies chopped fine(as per spice required)
- 3/4th” piece of ginger chopped fine
- 1/8th to 1/4th tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8th tsp asafoetida
- Water as required to make a paste of dropping consistencySalt to taste
- Oil to shallow fry the pancakes
- In a mixing bowl combine the flours, fenugreek leaves,salt,green
chillies,asafoetida,ginger,turneric powder and water to make a batter of dropping consistency(dosa batter consistency). There should be no lumps.Set aside for half an hour(optional), you can make it immediately too.
- Heat a nonstick pan,grease it with a little oil,add a ladle of the batter and spread it on the pan.Don’t make it too thin or thick.Now leave some oil around the edges and cover it with a lid,till the pancake is golden brown on the underside.
- Then flip over the other side and let it cook the same way on the other side as well without cover. Leave some oil from the sides again.
- Serve it hot with chutney of your choice.
- Dhirdi should always be served hot.
- I always prepare small sized dhirdi, that way they come out crisp on all sides.
Raw Mango chutney ( Kairichi Chutney)
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 cup raw mango skin peeled and grated (if the mango is very sour use less)
- 2 to 3 green chillies(adjust to taste)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 sprigs of coriander leaves
- A pinch of sugar
- Grind the above ingredients along with very little water coarsely. Goes very well with dal rice , dhirdi and dosas too.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG.