Tondli bhath is a spicy maharashtrian rice recipe that is served with curds or raita.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup tondli( ivy gourds) finely cut lengthwise
- 1 Bay leaf,
- Whole Khada Masala (4 black pepoer, 2 cloves, a piece of cinnamon, 2 strands of mace, black cardamom) OR 1 tsp khada masala powder
- 5 green chillies slit lengthwise (as per spice required)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 11/2 tbsp goda masala(I have used store bought goda masala)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp grated coconut to garnish(optional)
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Wash basmati rice at least thrice to let go off the starch, drain the excess water and keep aside.
- Cut the edges of tondli (ivy gourds) and cut them thinly lengthwise. Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan. Add mustard seeds, when they splutter add turmeric powder, green chillies, curry leaves,bay leaf, khada masala OR khada masala powder. Add the ivygourds, saute well, add rice and saute gently till the oil coats the rice.
- Add 3/4 tbsp goda masala , saute well till the masala coats the rice. Add 2 cups hot water (or as required)and mix well. Cover and cook till 3/4th done. When 3/4th done add the remaining goda masala and salt, mix well and cook till done.
- Garnish with fresh grated coconut and coriander leaves. Serve hot with papad , mattha, pickle or raita of your choice
- Adding half the goda masala while cooking the rice and ivy gourds and the rest at a later stage increases the flavour and aroma of the rice.
If you want to use khada masala powder I’m posting the required ingredients below.
Khada Masala Powder:
CREDIT: Chef Vishnu Manohar
We always add whole spices to add flavour to pulaos and masale bhat .If we add the very same in powder form it enhances the taste and flavour of the rice. Adding 1 tsp of this masala powder along with other spices enhances the taste of masale bhaat, pulao,khichdi to the maximum. I follow Chef Vishnu Manohar’s recipe of khada masala powder.
- 2 Star Anise
- 1 tsp Cloves
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 Black Elaichi/ masala elaichi
- 2 Small cardamom
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tspJaipatri(mace)
- Grind the above ingredients to a fine powder and keep it in an airtight container. Use as and when required.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG