Green peas with a combination of boiled potatoes and spices make a simple yet delicious deep fried starter recipe.Starters taste best when served hot.
- 1 cup fresh green peas blanched in water to which a pinch of salt is added.Drain the excess water,there should be no moisture left and keep aside
- 4 medium sized potatoes boiled and mashed(there should be no moisture)
- 1 tsp kasuri methi slightly roasted on a nonstick pan and crushed
- 3/4 th tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 th tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 th” ginger, 6 cloves of garlic,5 to 6 green chillies( as per spice required) ground to a smooth paste
- Bread crumbs as required to roll the balls + 2 tbsp bread crumbs to ne added to the potato mix
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Chat masala to sprinkle(optional)
- Blend the blanched green peas to a coarse paste( just run the mixer in spurts).Transfer it to a bowl.In a non stick pan roast the ginger garlic green chilli paste in 1 tsp of oil and add this roasted paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, crushed kasuri methi, mashed potato, coriander leaves,cornflour, approximately 2 tbsp bread crumbs and salt to the green peas.Mix well.
- Divide the mix into equal portions and shape into round balls.Roll into bread crumbs and dust excess crumbs.Deep fry in oil on medium flame till they are golden brown in colour on all sides. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with mint chutney or tomato sauce/ hot and sweet sauce and sprinkle a little chat masala on the balls.
- The mix should be totally free of moisture if not the green peas balls will split in oil. See that the potatoes, green peas and coriander leaves do not contain moisture.
- Do not pressure cook the potatoes directly in water. Prick the potatoes with a fork and keep them in a container. Add water in the pressure cooker and keep the container in it and pressure cook. This way the potatoes stay free from moisture.
- Cornflour and bread crumbs help in absorbing excess moisture if any
- Salt gives out moisture hence add salt just before you roll out the balls.
- Use stale bread to get crispier deep fried balls.
- Use oils with high smoke point for deep frying. Example : Refined groundnut oil.