- 8 to 10 tender bhendi
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 4 tbsp freshly scraped coconut
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
Masala paste 1:
- Grind 1 tsp coriander seeds, 2 pinches of turmeric, 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder, 3 to 4 black pepper, a small piece of tamarind to a smooth paste adding very little water.
Masala Paste 2 :
- Grind half the quantity of chopped onion, freshly scraped coconut, a pinch of turmeric, 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder to a smooth paste adding little water. To this paste mix 1 tsp rice flour and keep aside.
- Wash the lady’s finger and pat dry with a cloth. There should be no moisture left. Cut off the edges and slit into two vertically.
- Apply masala paste 1 to the slit bhendi and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add mustard seeds, when they splutter add asafoetida, half the quantity of chopped onion , saute till transluscent.
- Then add the bhendi to which masala has been applied, the remaining masala 1 and a little water to cook the bhendi.
- Once cooked add masala paste 2 , salt and water to get consistency of your choice and bring to a boil . Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with steamed rice.
- Adding 1 tsp rice flour to the coconut masala is important if not it may split when heated.