Whole red lentils/ Masoor contains high level of proteins, amino acids and hence plays a very important part in vegeterian diet
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup whole masoor rinsed and soaked in water fr 8 hrs.Wash again drain water and keep aside.
- 2 onions finely chopped lengthwise
- 4 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- 1 potato chopped into small cubes
- 1 onion very finely chopped
- 1 tomato very finely chopped
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic and one deseeded dry red chilly (for tempering which is optional)
- 1/4th tsp turmeric powder
- 3 to 31/2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder (adjust to individual taste)
- 1 tsp coriander cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powderFinely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a nonsrick/ceramic pan,add onions cut lengthwise and saute till brown( do not burn). Remove from pan, add grated coconut and saute till brown( do not burn). Grind the browned onion, coconut with a pinch of turmeric and 1 tsp red chilly powder to a smooth paste adding little water. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a nonstick pan, add finely chopped onions, saute well till its golden brown in colour, then add crushed garlic and saute well till you get the aroma of fried garlic.
- Add turmeric powder, rest of the red chilli powder, coriander cumin powder and mix well, add masoor and chopped potato,saute well then add chopped tomatoes, mix well, then add hot water(just enough to cook the lentils and potato).
- When 3/4th cooked add garam masala, bring the gravy to a boil then add the ground paste and hot water to get the desired consistency, add salt and cover and cook till done. Add freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Now only if you love the flavour of fried garlic, heat 1 tbsp oil in a seasoning pan, add crushed garlic till it gives the fried aroma, then add dry red chilli, saute and pour it over the cooked gravy and cover it for 2 minutes so that the flavour of fried garlic sinks into the gravy. Mix well and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with bread and tomato onion salad and a lemon wedge or with steaming hot rice, tomato onion salad and solkadi.
- Variation to the recipe :
- If you want a richer taste you can add 1/2 cup coconut milk to which a tsp of rice flour is added instead of water when it is 3/4th cooked. Adding rice flour is important if not the coconut milk may split when heated.
- You can use malwani masala.If using malwani masala skip adding coriander cumin powder and garam masala. It tastes great too.
- You can add Maharshtrian goda masala too. If doing so skip adding coriander cumin powder, garam masala powder. Reduce the quantity of red chilli powder, add a little more tang( tamarind pulp as per taste) and jaggery to taste.
- Adding hot water gives the oily look to the gravy.