Dried peas are a powerhouse of nutrition with numerous health benefits, hence try and consume them on a regular basis.
- 3/4th cup dried white peas rinsed and soaked in water for about 6 hrs or overnight. Drain the water and pressure cook the white peas by adding approximately 1 1/2 cups drinking water for about 3 to 4 whistles.The peas should be soft but not mushy. Pressure cooking time varies and depends on the quality of peas,so adjust accordingly. Drain the excess water if any in a container and preserve it to use while cooking.
- 1 big onion finely chopped
- 2 small tomatoes chopped fine
- 2 tbsp oil
- A paste of 5 to 6 cloves of garlic, a small piece of ginger, and 2 to 3 sprigs of coriander leaves
- 3 to 4 curry leaves
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 to 4 tsp kashmiri chilli powder( as per individual taste. Kashmiri chilli powder is less spicy but it gives a nice colour to the gravy)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan, add onions,saute till golden.Add ginger garlic coriander leaves paste.
- Saute well,add turmeric powder, red chilli powder,curry leaves, add tomatoes and saute well till oil leaves the sides, then add cooked white peas and stir well. Add enough hot water( heat the preserved water and use it too) to cover the white peas and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add salt and sprinkle garam masala and mix well and bring it to a boil
- Sprinkle a little garam masala on top and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rotis, polis or even top it with rice and curds.
- 3/4th cup dried white peas gives approximately 11/2 cup of white peas after soaking in water.
- Adding kashmiri chilli powder gives the perfect color to the gravy.
- Always add turmeric and chilli powder one after another to get the perfect orange red colour.
- Garam masala has a strong flavour hence should be added in the right quantity.TIP :
- Adding hot water gives the oily look to the gravy.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG