Masala Pav is a quick and easy evening snack in which buttered pavs are stuffed with spicy and tangy onion tomato gravy.
For the masala
- 3 to 4 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
- Grind 5 garlic pods,1/8th inch piece of ginger, 1 green chilly and a sprig of coriander leaves to a smooth paste
- 2 to 3 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder(as per individual spice required)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tsp pav bhaji masala(Adjust to individual taste)
- Salt to taste
- 1/4th cup finely chopped capsicum
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp dry mango powder(adjust to taste as to how tangy you want it)
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- 4 tsp butter
- 4 pav
- Lemon wedges,finely chopped onions and coriander leaves to serve along with masala pav
- Heat a nonstick/ceramic pan,add oil add cumin seeds. When they crackle add onions saute till onions turn transluscent.
- Add ginger garlic green chilly coriander leaves paste and finely chopped capsicum then add turmeric and red chilli powder.
- Saute continuously,add tomatoes, saute well add a little butter and salt and pav bhaji masala and dry mango powder and a little water to make the mix even.
- Cook for about 2 minutes,leave butter from the sides and add finely chopped coriander leaves. Keep aside.
- Heat a nonstick tava/skillet,add 1 tsp butter and 1/4th of the masala and saute on medium flame for a few seconds . Slit the pav open and place it on the masala. Spread the masala evenly over the pav till its evenly coated.Add another tsp of butter and cook the pav for a few seconds.Close the pav and apply a little masala and butter on top of it.
- Serve hot masala pav with a lemon wedge and finely chopped onions,garnished with coriander leaves. Follow the same for the rest of the pav.
- For a richer taste top it with cheese and cheese masala pav is ready to be served.
- Masala Pav has to be served hot and immediately else it’ll become soft. You can prepare the masala before hand and prepare masala pav just before serving.