A simple quick,easy and lip smacking recipe using fenugreek leaves.
- 3 to 4 tbsp oil
- 11/2 cups tender fenugreek leaves
- 3 spring onion whites
- Approximately 3 to 4 heaped tbsp roasted besan/gram flour or as required
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 5 to 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 11/2 to 2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (adjust to spice required)
- Salt to taste
- Heat a non stick pan and dry roast the besan till fragrant and keep aside.
- Wash and finely chop the fenugreek leaves
- Wash and finely chop the spring onion whites . Heat oil in an iron kadai. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter add a pinch of asafoetida, chopped garlic.Saute well till you get the aroma, then add turmeric powder, chopped onion whites and saute well till the onions are soft and transluscent. Then add chopped fenugreek leaves,saute well till they wilt.Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and mix well. Finally add roasted besan a tablespoon at a time,sauteing continuously.
- When all the besan is added, stir well and cook on low flame for about 5 min or till the besan gets cooked. Keep stirring frequently so that it does not stick to the bottom of the kadai.
- Serve hot with bhakri/chapati and garlic chutney or even as a side dish with rice, dal.
Variation to the recipe :
- This variation tastes great and is a regular at my place. This variation requires more oil, but is very flavourful if you like the flavour of garlic.
- Just before serving the bhaji, heat about 11/2 tbsp oil in a seasoning pan add 1/4 tsp mustard seeds. When they splutter add a pinch of asafoetida and a pinch of turmeric and 5 to 6 cloves of finely chopped garlic, saute on low flame till you get the aroma of garlic and pour it on the cooked vegetable.
- The moisture present in the fenugreek leaves after washing is enough to cook the besan/gramflour. DO NOT ADD WATER.
- You can add more or less besan & onions to vary flavour to your choice.
- This vegetable tastes best when cooked in an iron kadai.
- Dry roasting the besan and then adding it to the fenugreek leaves helps in cooking it faster and it won’t be sticky either.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG