Val/Field beans are an excellent source of protein and must be included in our regular diet especially vegeterians.
- 1 cup sprouted field beans/ val
- 1 kokum rind
- 2 tsp fresh grated coconut
- A pinch of sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp freshly chopped coriander leaves1 1/2 tsp oil
- 1/4th tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 green chilli slit lengthwise
- 11/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder( adjust to individual spice required)
- Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add mustard seeds. When they splutter add asafoetida, curry leaves,slit chilli, turmericpowder, chilli powder. Add the val beans and stir well so that the spice mix coats the val well.
- Pour a hot water(enough to cook the val), add salt, kokum rind, fresh grated coconut and stir well. Cover and cook till done. Add a pinch of sugar and coriander leaves and mix well. The usal should not be watery. Garnish with a little fresh grated coconut and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot as a side dish with rotis/ polis or even dal rice.
- The sweetness in fresh grated coconut reduces the bitterness in vaal.
- Val are delicate, so stir carefully. Do not overcook the val.The val should be crunchy. Undercooking as well as overcooking spoil the taste of the usal.
Variation to the recipe:
- If you want a slight thickness to the usal skip adding fresh grated coconut and add 1/2 cup coconut milk to which a tsp of rice flour is added so that it does not split when heated. The flavour of coconut milk adds to the flavour of the usal.
- Always add a tsp of rice flour to coconut based gravies so that they do not split when heated.
Procedure to sprout Val:
- Soak val beans for about 12 hours in lukewarm water. Drain the water and transfer the beans into a cotton cloth. Hold all the edges together, twist them and tie a knot. Keep them in a warm place for another 12 hours. Once sprouted loosen the knot, transfer to a container filled with warm water. After sometime gently remove the skin. 1/2 cup of val gives approximately 1 cup of sprouted val.