Ras Appe is a simple sweet recipe that can be offered as a naivedyam too. I learnt this recipe fro my mom and this is one of my favourite recipes.
Recipe Credit : Surekha Shanbhag
Sweet coconut milk
- 2 cups fresh coconut milk
- Jaggery as per individual taste
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- A pinch of nutmeg
- In a mixing bowl combine coconut milk and jaggery.
- Once the jaggery dissolves add cardamom powder, nutmeg powder. Transfer into a serving bowl and keep aside.
- 1 cup split black gram dal(urad dal)
- 2 cups raw rice
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
- Salt to taste
- Oil to shallow fry the appe
- Wash split black gram dal (urad dal) and raw rice well. Soak them separately in water for at least 3 hours.Soak the fenugreek seeds along with rice.
- Grind to a slightly coarse paste separately adding little water. Mix both the batters well, add salt and mix well. Cover and keep the batter aside overnight to ferment.
- Next morning mix the batter well. The batter should be of thick consistency.
- To prepare the appe first heat the pan on low flame and when hot grease each depression of the appe pan with oil . Fill each depression only 3/4th with the batter. Cover with a steam lid and cook on low flame till light brown in colour. Turn over with a fork and fry the other side till done without cover.
- Once done remove the appe and dip the hot appe in the sweet coconut milk.
- After 3 to 4 minutes serve appe dipped in sweet coconut milk in dessert bowls and serve it as a sweet dessert or as an accompaniment with any spicy breakfast dish.
- The appe should be just crisp not very crisp as the coconut milk should be absorbed by the appe.
- DO NOT SOAK the appe for long as they swell as the coconut milk gets absorbed.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG