The very delectable and most loved street food PAV BHAJI. A versatile recipe that can be made to suit ones palate. The basic taste depends entirely on the pav bhaji masala used, hence adjust spice levels accordingly. The proportions mentioned below are with respect to the the local brand in Thane K G Wanage Pav Bhaji masala that I have used. It actually gives the perfect flavour and taste to the bhaji.RECIPE :
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 to 2 1/2 tbsp butter ( as per individual taste) + butter to be added while serving
- 6 to 8 cloves of garlic, a small piece of ginger, 1 green chilly, 4 sprigs of coriander leaves ground to a paste
- 5 1/2 to 6 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder ( as per individual taste)
- 1/4th tsp turmeric powder
- 4 1/2 to 5 tsp Pav bhaji masala (Adjust as per taste)
- Salt to taste
- 3 medium sized potatoes approximately 1 1/2 cups boiled and mashed potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup very finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup green peas ( blanched and ground to a paste without adding water)
- 1/4 cup very finely chopped thin skinned capsicum OR thin skin small sized bhavnagari chillies
- 1/2 to 3/4th cup very finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp dry mango powder (adjust to taste as to how tangy you want it)
- Approximately 3 1/2 cups water to be added in stages depending on the quantity of water absorbed by the mashed potatoes
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Butter as required
- Pav as required
- Lemon wedges
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Finely chopped onions to serve
- Heat a nonstick/ ceramic flat based pan add oil, add cumin seeds, when thry splutter add onions saute till onions turn transluscent. Add ginger garlic green chilly coriander leaves paste, saute well, add finely chopped capsicum, saute well then add turmeric powder and 2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder and 1 tsp pav bhaji masala.
- Saute continuously then add tomatoes, saute well,add green peas paste, stir, finally add mashed potatoes. Mix well and then add about 1 1/2 cups water to get an even mix. The potatoes start absorbing the water as they get heated. Add 2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder, 2 tsp pav bhaji masala, stir well. Then add 1 tbsp butter and salt and 1 tsp dry mango powder and stir well. Add 1 1/2 cup water approximately to get the desired consistency. Mix well.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, if required add 1/2 cup water, mix well, add 1 1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder and 1 1/2 tsp pav bhaji masala (as per choice), add 1/2 tsp dry mango powder if required after checking the taste. Add butter as per choice (approximately 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp) sprinkle a little pav bhaji masala and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. Adjust the flavours of the pav bhaji if required. The pav bhaji should neither be runny nor thick. So adjust water content accordingly.
- Heat a nonstick/ ceramic tawa/ skillet add 1 tsp butter and slit a pav open and place it on the tawa. Spread the butter evenly over the pav till its evenly coated. Serve the pav with hot bhaji, a dash of butter,very finely chopped onions and lemon wedge and serve immediately garnished with coriander leaves.
- The quantity of pav bhaji masala and chilli powder depends on how strong and spicy the flavour of pav bhaji masala is. Each brand has its own flavour. Please adjust accordingly. The last step of addition of spices is as per individual choice and also how much water is absorbed by the potatoes.
- For a richer taste top it with grated cheese , tastes great too.Pav Bhaji tastes best when served hot.
- Add capsicum after onions are sauted so that the strong flavour of capsicum is nullified. During monsoons I use the small, thin skinned variety of bhavnagari chillies available. They go well with the bhaji.
- Adding red chilli powder, pav bhaji masala and butter in stages gives colour as well as added flavour to the pav bhaji. I like spicy Pav bhaji, hence have added extra amount of Kashmiri chilli powder.Hence the dark colour. The colour of pav bhaji also depends on the colour of pav bhaji masala and colour of chilli powder used.
- Pav bhaji is a very versatile recipe.
- Friends living in Thane do check out the local brand K G Wanage Pav bhaji masala, it lends the perfect taste to the pav bhaji.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG