Tawa Fried Breadfruit is a delicious recipe served as a side dish and is one of the tastiest side dishes that goes well rotis, chapatis or even dal rice. This is the most loved recipe of Konkani people.
It is one of the best recipes to that can be shallow fried or deep fried.A regular in konkani households this shallow fried breadfruit is very delicious. Also called jeev kadgi in konkani and neer fanas in marathi, these fritters are shallow fried in many ways.I am posting my way of shallow frying bread fruit.
- 1/2 medium sized breadfruit ( it’l give around 12 to 14 pieces of 1/2″ thickness)
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 to 11/2 tbsp semolina/ rawa
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (adjust to personal taste)
- Oil for shallow frying
- Apply oil to your palms and then peel the skin of the bread fruit as the white latex sap the breadfruit exudes when cut makes the hands sticky.The knife also needs to be well oiled while chopping breadfruit.The central core should be cut and discarded. Cut the breadfruit into 1/2″ thick slices. Thickness of slices depends on individual preference, but thin slices are crispier and cook faster too. Dip them in water.
- Combine the mentioned ingredients well. Remove the breadfruit slices, tip off the excess water and coat them with the mix one by one, till they are well coated. Heat a cast iron tawa and place the slices on it.
- Leave oil from the sides and cook them over low to medium heat till golden brown on each side. Pour a little oil from the sides when they need replenishing. The breadfruit slices are done when a fork or knife easily passes through it.
- Serve hot with dal rice or roti.
- Adding rawa makes the breadfruit crispier.
- Using a cast iron tawa gives crisp breadfruit.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG