Pohe is a popular and favourite dish that is very versatile and makes a delicious breakfast or anytime snack.
- 11/2 cup medium pohe/ flattened rice
- 2 medium sized onions finely chopped
- 1 medium sized potato finely chopped into quarters
- 5 to 6 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 5 green chillies finely chopped (adjust to taste)
- A sprig of curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- 3 tbsp fresh grated coconut to garnish
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add mustard seeds,when they
splutter add asafoetida, choppd green chillies, curry leaves . Saute
well, add onions and potato. Saute till the onions r soft.Add turmeric
powder. Stir fry till the onions and potatoes are cooked.
- While the onion and potato are getting cooked, rinse pohe in water and gently wash them so that the excess starch washes out and the pohe soften. All the pohe flakes should be firm but should be light and fluffy.
- Add the pohe to the cooked onion, potatoes. Add salt, sugar and mix
gently so that the mixture coats the pohe.
- Serve pohe steaming hot garnished with fresh coconut and coriander
leaves. If you like it tangy add a squeeze of lime juice.
- Variations to the recipe:
- In place of potatoes, green peas or even boiled peanuts can be used.
Each variation tastes great.
- Instead of fresh coconout, you can sprinkle nylon shev. It gives a
nice crunch to the pohe.NOTE:
- Do not soak pohe for long. Rinsing them well is enough to soften them.
- THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG