- 1/2 cup sago
- 1 1/4th cup potatoes(approximately 3 potatoes) boiled, skin peeled and mashed and kept aside
- 1/4th cup roasted and coarsely ground peanut powder ( as per choice)
- Sugar to taste( optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1tsp cumin seeds,a small piece of ginger and 3 to 4green chillies ground to a paste ( adjust chillies as per spice required)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped (optional)
- Place the sago in a colander and pass it through running tap water to let go of excess starch. Soak it in water just a little above the sago level for an hour. Then drain the excess water and keep covered for at least 6 hours.
- Do check it to make sure its softened. If not sprinkle a little water and turn it over as the sago has to be separate and when pressed between fingers it should crumble, but not on its own.
- When ready to prepare the vade uncover the sago , add mashed potatoes, peanut powder,cumin seeds,ginger and green chilli paste, chopped coriander leaves, salt, sugar and mix well. Try not to crush the sago much, so that the flavour of sago is retained. The dough should not be moist if not the vada may split while frying and will also absorb more oil.
- If the dough is soft add 1 tbsp waterchestnut / shingada flour or rajgira/amaranth flour(both are used on fasting days) and mix well into a stiff dough. Divide the dough into equal sized balls. Roll and flatten them.
- Heat oil in a kadai or deep pan. When hot enough to fry, slip in 3 to 4 vadas gently one at a time. Fry till golden brown and crisp on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve sabudana vadas with chutney or sweet curds.
- Sabudana vadas taste best when served hot.
- Add salt to the sabudana vadas dough just before rolling the vadas, because salt releases moisture and the vada dough will become soft.
- The dough should not be moist to get perfect crispiness.
- 1 cup grated coconut
- A small piece of tamarind
- 1/4th” piece of ginger
- 2 to 3 green chillies(adjust to taste)
- Salt to taste
- 2 sprigs of coriander leaves (optional)
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Grind coconut,asafoetida,green chillies,ginger,tamarind,salt, coriander leaves along with little water coarsely. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve this chutney with Vadas, appe,dosas, set dosas, pancakes etc.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG