- 1 cup long grained basmati rice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3/4th cup crushed jaggery (adjust to sweetness required)
- 2 cups fresh coconut milk
- 1/4th cup hot water
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp clarified butter/ ghee
- 3 to 4 cloves
- 2 pieces of cinnamon
- 8 to 10 cashews lightly roasted in 1tsp ghee for garnishing
- 6 to 8 raisins to garnish
- Wash the rice well to get rid of the excess starch, drain the water and keep aside for about 20 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a nonstick/ceramic pan add cloves, cinnamon, saute till you get the aroma of the spices, add rice and saute gently taking care not to break the rice untill the ghee coats the rice well and till you get the aroma.
- Add 1/4th cup hot water, a pinch of salt and the coconut milk and keep stirring gently.
- When the rice is about 3/4th cooked,cover it so that the rest of the rice gets cooked properly.
- Then add the sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and crushed jaggery which will liquify. Mix well and cook covered till done. Garnish with roasted cashews and raisins or dry fruits of your choice.
- Tastes best when served hot or even chilled.
The rice should be cooked properly before adding jaggery and sugar, if not the rice grains will harden, they won’t remain soft.
This rice tastes best if a little moist hence a little water is also added to cook it.
A combination of sugar and jaggery gives added taste to the rice.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG