Vangi masala is a spicy maharashtrian gravy recipe prepared with eggplants and is one of the most loved recipes by almost everyone.A no onion no garlic recipe it makes a spicy treat on fasting days.
I tried out Vangi Bhath by layering vangi masala and rice and the outcome was delicious.
VANGI MASALA (no onion no garlic recipe)
- 8 to 10 tender, small brinjals/ eggplants (the purplish white ones)
- 6 tbsp freshly scraped coconut
- 11/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 5 black pepper
- 1/4 ” to 1/2″ piece of cinnamon
- 1 small badi elaichi ( masala velchi. If the velchi is big add only half, if not it’ll give strong flavour)
- A small piece of tamarind
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder (adjust to individual spice required)
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast the coconut in a nonstick/ ceramic pan on low flame till brown. Remove and keep aside. In the same pan in 1 tsp oil roast the whole spices mentioned on low flame till you get the aroma of roasted spices. Grind the roasted coconut and roasted spices along with turmeric powder and chilli powder to a smooth paste using little water, add salt and keep aside.
- Wash the brinjals, cut off the stems and give vertical slits to make four equal parts WITHOUT separating them from the bottom of the brinjal. Fill the stuffing in the brinjal and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan. Place the stuffed brinjals in the pan. Finally add the remaining masala and water to get the desired gravy consistency. Cover with a steam lid and cook on low flame till 3/4th done. Add salt only if required , mix well and cook till done. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot vangi masala with dal rice or polis or bhakris,solkadi and raita of your choice.
- Kashmiri chilli powder is less spicy but it gives a very nice colour to the gravy.I have added extra chilli powder hence the colour to the gravy. Use chilli powder as per your taste buds.
- 1 cup long grained rice (basmati rice)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5 to 6 cloves of garlic, a small piece of ginger 1 green chilly, 3 sprigs of coriander leaves ground to a smooth paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 badi elaichi (masala velchi)
- 3 cloves
- 2 strands of mace
- 1 ” piece cinnamon
- 4 black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Water to cook the rice
- Vangi Masala ( recipe given above)
- Wash the rice at least thrice to let go off excess starch. Soak the rice in water for 10 minutes, drain the water and keep aside for about 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add the whole spices. Saute till you get the aroma then add ground ginger garlic green chilly coriander leaves paste, saute well, then add the rice and saute well till the oil and paste coats the rice.
- Add 2 cups hot water and salt , mix well and cover with a steam lid and cook the rice.Separate the rice with a fork and keep aside.
- In a deep nonstick/ ceramic pan first spread vangi masala, then a layer of the rice prepared, again a layer of vangi masala, then rice. The top layer should be of rice. Cover and cook on low flame till the flavour of vangi masala sinks into the rice. This rice is a little moist because of the vangi masala. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with excess vangi masala or Solkadi and raita of your choice.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG