Bread Upma is a much loved snack / breakfast , quick and easy to make. Cubed pieces of bread cooked along with spices make bread upma a tasty snack.
- 5 to 6 White bread slices ( wheat bread/ brown bread can also be used)
- 1 medium sized potato, skin peeled , cut thinly into quarters
- 2 small onions thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 1/2 to 3 tbsp oil
- 3/4th tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 6 to 8 curry leaves
- 1/4th tsp turmeric powder
- 4 green chillies chopped ( adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp Lemon juice ( optional)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves finely chopped to garnish
- Freshly grated coconut to garnish (optional, but adds taste to the upma)
- Cut the bread slices into small cubes with or without the crust. Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceeamic pan, add mustard seeds, When the seeds splutter add asafoetida, curry leaves, green chillies, saute well and onions, potato and turmeric powder.
- Saute well till the onions are transluscent and potatoes are cooked. Add salt (remember bread has its own salt content), add the cubed bread pieces, saute well till crisp, garnish with coriander leaves and freshly grated coconut.
- Serve hot with a dash of lemon juice (optional) but it tastes tastes great with a tang.
- This recipe requires a little extra oil for the bread to be crisp and coat it too.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG