A quick, easy and flavourful pulao that goes perfect with any raita. This is a no onion no garlic recipe and is a delightful option on fasting days too.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup fresh green peas (blanched)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp goda masala ( I have used ready goda masala)
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups hot water OR as required
To be ground to a paste without adding water the spices mentioned below
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 clove
- 4 black pepper
- 1/2″ piece cinnamon
- 1 small masala velchi ( badi elaichi)
- 4 to 6 green chillies (adjust to individual spice required)
- 3 sprigs coriander leaves
- Wash the rice atleast thrice to get rid of excess starch. Soak in water for 10 minutes, drain water and keep aside.
- In a nonstick/ ceramic pan heat oil, add mustard seeds. When they splutter add a pinch of asafoetida, turmeric powder, ground spices, saute well.
- Add rice and saute well till the masala coats the rice. Add hot water and bring to a boil. When the rice is 3/4th done, add the blanched green peas and goda masala and salt. Cover and cook till done.
- Serve hot with spiced curds or raita of your choice.
- Adding blanched green peas when the rice is 3/4th done keeps the colour of peas intact and the peas also don’t get overcooked.
- Adding goda masala when the rice is 3/4th cooked adds to the flavour and aroma of the rice.
- If you do not have goda masala just skip it, increase the number of green chillies as per taste, tastes good too because of the ground spices.
Curds is an accompaniment in Indian meals thats healthy and nutritious.
- 2 cups curds
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- Sugar to taste ( add sugar only if the curds is tarter than you like)
- Salt to taste
- In a mixing bowl, whisk curds and add red chilli powder, cumin powder, sugar and salt. Mix well. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle a little red chilli powder and cumin powder and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve chilled with pulao, biryani or masale bhath.