Dried green peas are a source of vitamins and minerals and should be included in our regular diet. Here’s a simple, quick, easy and flavourful recipe that goes well with rotis or even with steamed rice.
- 1/2 cup dried green peas soaked in water for about 6 hrs or overnight. Drain the water and pressure cook the green peas till pressure is released 4 times (for about 4 whistles) approximately. The peas should be soft but not mushy. Pressure cooking time may vary
- 2 medium sized onions finely chopped
- 2 small tomatoes chopped fine
- 2 tbsp oil
- A smooth paste of 5 to 6 cloves of garlic, a small piece of ginger, 1 green chilly and 2 to 3 sprigs of coriander leaves
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 to 4 tsp kashmiri chilli powder( as per individual taste. Kashmiri chilli powder is less spicy but it gives a nice colour to the gravy)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add onions , saute till transluscent.
- Add ginger, garlic, chilly, coriander leaves paste. Saute well, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, add tomatoes and saute well till oil leaves the sides. Then add cooked green peas and stir well. Add hot water just enough to cover the green peas and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add salt and garam masala and mix well and bring it to a boil. Sprinkle a little garam masala on top and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot as a side dish with rotis or steamed rice.
- 1/2 cup of dried green peas gives approximately 1 cup of peas after soaking in water.
- Garam masala has a strong flavour, hence should be added in limited quantity.
THANK YOU VISITING MY BLOG