Val Khichdi is an easy healthy one dish meal using Val (field beans). Most people avoid eating val because of its bitter taste, but Val beans are high in protein content and should be consumed regularly in our diet.
- 3/4th cup Basmati rice
- 3/4th cup sprouted val ( field beans)
- 3 Spring onion whites
- 1 finely chopped green chilli
- 4 to 5 garlic pods chopped very finely
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- 1 medium sized tomato chopped finely
- 3 to 4 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 cup Spring onion greens chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- Asafoetida a pinch
- 2 to 3 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves to garnish + 2 tsp to add while cooking
- Wash rice, soak it in water and keep aside for 20 min. Then drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add oil,add mustard seeds. When they splutter add a pinch of asafoetida saute, add spring onion whites, saute till light pink , add chopped garlic. Saute wel till you get a nice aroma.
- Add chopped spring onion greens then add chopped green chilli, curry leaves ,turmeric , kashmiri chilli powder,coriander powder, cumin powder,saute well then add rice saute well. Add sprouted vaal, stir well add tomatoes and 2 tsp chopped coriander leaves. Saute, then add double quantity of hot water or as required and cook covered with a steam release lid.
- When 3/4th done add garam masala and salt and cook till done. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with solkadi and spring onion whites OR raita of your choice.
- It is not necessary to use Basmati rice. You can also use Ambemohar rice.
PROCEDURE TO SPROUT VAL:
- Soak val beans for about 12 hours in lukewarm water. Drain the water and transfer the beans into a cotton cloth. Hold all the edges together, twist them and tie a knot. Keep them in a warm place for another 12 hours. Once sprouted loosen the knot, transfer to a container filled with warm water.
- After sometime gently remove the skin. 1/2 cup of val gives approximately 1 cup of sprouted Val.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG