Val Khichdi is an easy healthy one dish meal using Val (field beans). Most people avoid eating val but Val beans are high in protein content and should be consumed regularly in our diet.
- 3/4th cup Basmati rice
- 3/4th cup sprouted val ( field beans)
- 3 Spring onion whites (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 1 finely chopped green chilli
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves chopped very finely
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- 1 medium sized tomato chopped finely (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 3 to 3 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder (adjust to spice required)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4th tsp cumin powder
- 1/4th cup Spring onion greens chopped fine
- 1/4th to 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves to garnish + 2 tsp to add while cooking
- Rinse the rice well till water runs clear, drain the water and keep aside for 20 min.
- Heat a nonstick/ ceramic pan, add oil, add mustard seeds. When they splutter asafoetida saute, add spring onion whites, saute till soft, add chopped garlic. Saute wel till you get a nice aroma.
- Add chopped spring onion greens then add chopped green chilli, curry leaves ,turmeric , kashmiri chilli powder,coriander powder, cumin powder,saute well then add rice saute well. Add sprouted vaal, stir well so that the spices coat the mix, then add tomatoes and 2 tsp chopped coriander leaves. Saute, then add double quantity of hot water OR as required and cook covered with a steam release lid. Place a skillet/ flat tawa below the flat pan so that tge rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan and gets cooked evenly.
- When 3/4th done add garam masala and salt and cook till done. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with solkadi and spring onion whites OR raita of your choice.
- Garam masala has a strong flavour hence add the same depending on how strong it is. Basically garam masala gives a nice aroma and flavour to the rice.
- It is not necessary to use Basmati rice. You can also use Ambemohar rice. I have used extra long grained rice.
PROCEDURE TO SPROUT VAL:
- Soak val beans for about 12 hours in lukewarm water. Drain the water and transfer the beans into a cotton cloth. Hold all the edges together, twist them and tie a knot. Keep them in a warm place for another 12 hours. Once sprouted loosen the knot, transfer to a container filled with warm water.
- After sometime gently remove the skin. 1/2 cup of val gives approximately 3/4th cup of sprouted and deskinned Val.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG