Dalichi Amti is a delicious traditional dal prepared from tuvar (split pigeon peas) dal with added spices. Simple and easy to make this dal makes a great accompaniment with rice and rotis.
- 1/2 cup tuvar dal (split pigeon peas) washed and soaked in water for an hour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder + 2 pinches turmeric powder to be added while cooking the dal.
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 1 medium sized onion ( 3/4 th onion to be chopped fine and 1/4 th onion to be kept aside)
- 11/2 tbsp freshly scraped coconut
- 3 to 4 black pepper
- 1 tsp tamarind pulp or as per tang required
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Pressure cook toor dal along with two pinches of turmeric powder till pressure is released three times (three whistles). Once the pressure settles down remove the dal and mash it well and keep it aside.
- Grind freshly scraped coconut, black pepper and 1/4th onion to a coarse paste without adding water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, add mustard seeds . When they splutter add a pinch of asafoetida, curry leaves. Add green chillies and finely chopped onions. Saute well till transluscent. Add cooked and mashed dal, turmeric powder and water to get the desired consistency and tamarind pulp and bring to a boil. Add ground coconut paste and salt, stir well and bring to a boil.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with rotis or dalichi amti , steamed rice and vangyache/ batatyache Kaap.
Variation to the recipe:
After sauteing onions you can add a few tender fenugreek leaves or chopped spinach and saute till they wilt and then proceed with the rest of the procedure.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG