Kothimbir Vadi is a maharashtrian dish served as tea time snack or even as a side dish. Kothimbir vadi is a very verastile recipe and there are many versions to this recipe. I’m posting one version of Kothimbir vadi.
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves washed and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4th cups besan/ gram flour ( to be added as required)
- 2 heaped tbsp rice flour
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp to 3 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder (as per spice required)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 11/2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 1/4th” piece of ginger, 6 cloves of garlic and 1 green chilli crushed in a mortar and pestle ( saute the crushed ginger garlic, green chilly paste in 1 tsp oil till its raw flavour is gone.)
- Salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tbsp hot oil
- Water as required
- Oil for deep frying
- Dry roast the besan till fragrant on low flame.
- Combine coriander leaves, turmeric , red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, sesame seeds, ginger garlic, green chillt paste,salt and mix well.
- Add besan,rice flour and water as required and mix well to get a smooth and THICK batter. Then add 1 tbsp hot oil and mix well. Pour this batter into a tray greased with oil. The thickness of the poured batter should be say around 1/2″ not more.
- Pour the excess batter in another greased tray. Steam the batter in a pressure cooker without whistle or steamer on high flame for about 15 to 18 miinutes. Check by inserting a knife into the steamed vadi and if it comes out clean, its cooked.
- Remove from cooker/ steamer and let it cool.
- Cut into squares or diamond shape and when you are ready to serve , shallow fry OR deep fry on medium flame till golden brown and crisp.
- Serve hot with mint chutney or coconut chutney.
Variation to the recipe :
On no onion no garlic days skip adding garlic. Add ginger green chilli paste instead of ginger garlic paste.
- Adding rice flour and hot hot oil to the gram flour makes the vadis crispier.
- Use fresh coriander leaves to get the perfect flavour.
- Deep fried vadis turn out to be more delicious.
- If you want it tangy, you can add 1 tsp of tamarind pulp to the gram flour mix.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG