Veg Biryani is a flavourful traditional one dish meal loaded with vegetables and spices.
BASIC RECIPE CREDIT goes to CHEF KUNAL KAPOOR with a few changes. Tastes fabulous.
- 11/2 cup long grained rice ( basmati)
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped 1/2″ length cubes
- 1/2 cup french beans cut into 1/2″ length pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh green peas
- 1/2 cup whisked curds
- 20 to 25 mint leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tsp crushed kasoori methi
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds/ caraway seeds
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 black elaichi ( masala elaichi)
- 2 cloves
- 1″ stick of cinnamon
- 5 to 6 medium sized onions cut finely lengthwise
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder ( adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 to 3 drops of KEWRA ESSENCE or BIRYANI Flavour essence ( depends on how concentrated it is)
- Wash rice at least three times to get rid of the excess starch. Drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick/ ceramic pan. Add bay leaf, cloves, elaichi, cinnamon. Add cumin seeds, when they crackle add onions and saute till brown.
- Then add 2 to 3 tbsp water, mix well, add ginger garlic paste, saute well, add turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, green chillies.
- Add whisked curds and saute till the mix is even for about 5 minutes, then add mint leaves and saute well.
- Add the chopped vegetables one after another, add 11/2 cups water and when the vegetables are half cooked add soaked rice, kasoori methi and 11/2 cups water, garam masala and Biryani Essence and stir well,add salt to taste and cover and cook till done.
- Serve hot with raita of your choice.
- The most important tip that I learnt from Chef Kunal Kapoor’s recipe was the use of Kewra water. I have added biryani essence. It gives the perfect unique flavour to the biryani.
- DO NOT ADD IN EXCESS as it can spoil the flavour of the biryani, so first see how concentrated it is and then add drop by drop.
- The onions must be browned to get the perfect aromatic flavour.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG