Fritters are a delectable mouthwatering snack, starter or accompaniment with rice, dal / curry loved by everyone. Fritters is one versatile recipe which tastes great any which way you twist the recipe. Here’s my version of Mirchi Bhajji.
- About 15 to 18 small variety chillies
- 3/4th cup gram flour (besan)
- 4 tbsp rice flour
- 1 small onion very finely chopped ( optional)
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 green chilly finely chopped
- 4 sprigs coriander leaves finely chopped
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 11/2 tsp kashmiri chilly powder ( adjust to taste)
- 2 tsp hot oil
- Salt to taste
- Approximately 1/4 cup water to prepare the batter
- Oil to deep fry
- Wash and pat dry the chilies and slit them lengthwise into two. Dessed them only if you want to, but these chilies are not very spicy. Keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add gram flour, rice flour, onion, green chilly, ginger, coriander leaves, asafoetida, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and salt . Mix all ingredients well and add water a little at a time and make a batter of dropping consistency. There should be no lumps in the batter. Add 3 tsp hot oil and mix well.
- Heat oil in an iron kadai over medium flame. Dip the chilies in the batter and add them slowly the hot oil. Stir frequently so that the fritters cook evenly. Deep fry till golden brown and crisp.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon, drain excess oil and place them on an absorbent paper to drain absorb excess oil.
- Serve hot as a starter or as an accompaniment with rice, dal/ curry.
- To check if the oil is hot enough for deep frying, drop a little batter in the oil. If it floats up , the oil is hot enough to deep fry.
- Adding 3/4th tsp of hot oil to every cup of batter will make the fritters crispier and also prevent them from soaking up excess oil.
- Adding very finely chopped onion adds to the taste of the fritters.
- Rice flour also adds to the crispiness of the bhajji.
- Fry fritters over medium flame.
- Use oil with high smoke point for deep frying. Example : Refined groundnut oil.
THANK YOU FOR VISITNG MY BLOG