Zunka is a simple regular Maharashtrian side dish made of Bengal gram flour and onions. It makes a simple but delicious meal when served with bhakris.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 6 to 8 spring onions approximately 1 1/2 cup spring onion whites and 1 cup spring onion greens
- Approximately 3/4th cup plus 1tbsp roasted besan (gram flour) OR as much as it fits into the spring onion mix
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 8 to 10 cloves of garlic crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1/8″ piece of ginger finely chopped
- 3 1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat a flat pan and dry roast the besan till fragrant and keep aside.
- Rinse and finely chop the spring onion whites and greens. Heat oil in an iron kadai. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter add asafoetida, crushed garlic.
- Saute well till you get the aroma, then add green chillies, ginger, chopped onion whites and saute well till the onions are soft. Then add turmeric powder saute well, add chopped spring onion greens, saute well then add red chili powder, salt and mix well. Finally add roasted besan a little at a time, stirring continuously taking care that there are no lumps and the besan mixes into the onion mix evenly. The flame should be on LOW heat.
- When all the besan is added, stir well and cook till the besan gets cooked. Keep stirring frequently so that it does not stick to the bottom of the kadai. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Tastes great with bhakri and garlic chutney or even as a side dish with rice, dal.
- The moisture present in the spring onions after rinsing is enough to cook the zunka.
- DO NOT ADD WATER.
- Zunka is a versatile recipe . You can add more or less besan & onions to vary flavour to your choice.
- Zunka tastes best when cooked in an iron kadai.
- Dry roasting the besan helps in cooking the zunka faster and hence does not require the addition of water to cook it. This retains the flavours of the zunka intact without the addition of extra oil either.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG