Zunka is a simple regular Marathi side dish made of Bengal gram flour and onions. It makes a simple but delicious meal.
- 3 to 4 tbsp oil
- 6 to 8 spring onions
- Approximately 3 tbsp besan (gram flour)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 8 to 10 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 11/2 to 2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat a non stick pan and dry roast the besan till fragrant and keep aside.
- Wash and finely chop the spring onion whites and greens. Heat oil in an iron kadai. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter add a pinch of asafoetida, chopped garlic.
- Saute well till you get the aroma, then add turmeric powder, chopped onion whites and saute well till the onions are soft. Then add chopped spring onion greens, saute well till cooked, add red chili powder, salt and mix well. Finally add roasted besan a tablespoon at a time, stirring continuously.
- When all the besan is added, stir well and cook for about 5 to 7 min or till the besan gets cooked. Keep stirring frequently so that it does not stick to the bottom of the kadai. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Tastes great with bhakri and garlic chutney or even as a side dish with rice, dal.
- The moisture present in the spring onions after washing is enough to cook the zunka.
- DO NOT ADD WATER
- Zunka is a versatile recipe . You can add more or less besan & onions to vary flavour to your choice.
- Zunka tastes best when cooked in an iron kadai
THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BLOG